Friday, April 23, 2010

Week 13 Question 3


The concept that interested me in this chapter is openness, “maintaining openness-a supportive communication climate-during the problem solving process is vital for creativity” (p.194). I always like this concept because I think that is the key for more creativity. I also believe that openness is important in communication, especially group communication. I find it refreshing when I keep an open mind, how much I can be inspired. If we are closed-mind, I think its hard for us to breakthrough, and if we do not breakthrough, it even harder for us to think outside of the box and be creative. In this century, people are more competitive, and the quality employers looking for is not whether or not you can operate on Microsoft office or know how to do bookkeeping. They need an employee to have an open mind and generate new idea, be creative; this way employee can become a real asset for the company.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you - keeping an open mind definitely encourages creativity. If we allow ourselves to "think outside the box" and deviate from our own personal norms, we will come up with new thoughts and ways of doing things.

    For example, if I am someone who usually arranges my furniture in a certain way in my living room but decide to read a home decor magazine, I will undoubtedly come up with new ways of decorating. So then if I decide to implement one of those ideas and change around the way I decorated my furniture, things will look different. Being "creative" and changing things around will positively impact our lifestyles and open us up to new ideas.

    Great job on your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly, the concept of openness is a key to creativity. In order to be creative, people should feel safe in speaking their minds and openly offering different points of view as well as open to other ideas. If one is not open to possibilities, it will be very difficult to come up with that great next innovation. Having an open mind will help in getting the best ideas from different perspectives. Also, if one is an open minded, he or she is quick in admitting when things go wrong and engage in solving the issue; thus saving time and energy.

    ReplyDelete