Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Week 16 Question 2


For the outside group project, I feel it is useful to observe and apply the concepts we learn in the book. Sometimes when we read about these concepts we only have ideas, it is helpful to create a situation and apply these concepts to real life. I like this project because being an observer gives me a better focus on the group itself. I chose a teenager church group in Santa Clara and every meeting is about a topic in the Bible. The leader will teach these teenagers the topic of the day with his personal experience and throw in a lot anecdote. He has a very creative teaching style and care for his students as well. He is very close with the group and it is very obvious from their interaction. I feel the project is useful to me because not only being an observer gives me a chance to apply the things I learn in life also I feel I learn from the bible teaching as well.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sogo!

    Nice post; sounds like you had fun with the small group observation project. I think that was a good idea to observe teenagers, as that would be interesting to see how they interact with each in that kind of setting, and in front of an "outside observer" (you). That's good the instructor demonstrates good leadership skills, as being creative and caring in teaching is especially important when regarding teenagers. I also agree this was an educational project because we got to apply the concepts we learned in class to a real-life setting. Nicely written post too. Semester's almost done! Good luck with the rest of your week and the ever approaching FINALS! :)

    -John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sogo,

    I agree with your message in your observation. In the observation group, you sit in the meeting but you don't have to join the meeting as members. Our position is only the observer.

    In my observation in the baptismal group at church, the leader is the pastor who is the good writer and prepare all handouts for the members. At first, the members do not want to read these bundle of papers because they are the new believers. Besides, the leader always ask them the questions about the Bible as well as their life experiences. Secondly, at the end of every meeting, they may share their understandings of the Bible.
    In the five meetings, I observe that the leader has his own strong ability and leadership to lead the group because he always help the members to focus in the discussion. Besides, if the members have conflicts, the leader tries every effort to process the conflict management. For instance, the leader asks their viewpoints in their conflicts. Sometimes, he tries to use the vote or the Bible to make the decision. Generally, this is a good project which bring me good life experience.

    Thank you,

    Kam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sogo, I thought that the topic you chose for your project was great. That is a perfect example of small group communication. Being involved in a group like that would have been fun. I bet there was a great group structure as well as interaction. I would be curious about the conflict that you saw in the group, maybe something that had to do with the kids ages. In church settings there is generally strong leaders, and it would have been interesting to watch. I think its great that you were able to learn from the interaction as well as from the bible.

    ReplyDelete